Whether you eat them poached, scrambled, fried, or hard-boiled, eggs are a staple food in countless US households. According to the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), US citizens eat an average of 286 eggs a year!

However, what’s under the shell isn’t always what matters. If you’re trying to get healthier, go vegan, or just want to change your eating routine, read on to discover the side effects of not eating eggs. And if you’re looking to revise your eating habits, check out 7 Healthiest Foods You Should Be Eating Right Now.

Shutterstock

While you may cut some calories from your diet by skipping eggs, you may also feel less satisfied after meals.

“Eggs are high in protein, which helps you feel full. If you eat less protein, the more likely you will experience hunger pangs and cravings soon after you eat them,” explains Diana Gariglio-Clelland, RD, a registered nutritionist and certified diabetes care and education specialist at Next Luxury.

CONNECTED: Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily recipes and food news in your inbox!

Shutterstock

Unfortunately, if you cut eggs from your diet, you may find that you eat more calories overall.

“When people give up eggs, they tend to eat more caloric breakfasts. With no eggs as an option, people are more likely to opt for more cereals, bagels, muffins, and high-carb breakfasts. This is especially true when they are having a quick meal out, casual or dining “, explained Jodi Greebel, MS, RDN, a nutritional consultation with Citrition.

Omega-3 supplementsShutterstock

Cutting eggs out of your diet can also cut some important nutrients out of your eating plan.

“Egg yolks contain most of the egg’s nutrients, such as vitamins A, D, E, and K, as well as heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, if the chickens were fed flaxseed,” explains Gariglio-Clelland. And if you want, some vitamin doctors tell everyone to take it immediately.

Black male jogger in black sportswear and athletic shoes sitting on the stairs outside with his aching knee clutchingShutterstock

Eliminating an important source of protein like eggs from your diet will make your workouts less effective over time.

“Eggs contain leucine, an amino acid that is important for the synthesis of muscle mass and which decreases with age,” says Gariglio-Clelland, who notes that if you cut eggs out of your diet, this can mean you will lose muscle mass.

Do you want to reach your fitness goals faster? Check out the 14 best foods for better exercise results, according to experts.

Blood cholesterol reporting test health careShutterstock

While eggs are a source of dietary cholesterol, giving up eggs may not do as much to improve your cholesterol as you would expect.

“Only about 20% of our blood cholesterol comes from what we eat – the other 80% is made by your liver,” explains Gariglio-Clelland. “This means that while lifestyle changes have some impact on cholesterol levels, your own genetics play the largest role.” And if you want to take your cholesterol levels to healthier areas, check out these 17 foods that will lower cholesterol levels.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here